• Question: What is the worst disater ever happened to you before in a science lab?

    Asked by myerswires to Amy, Andy, Georgia, Ollie on 23 Jun 2011.
    • Photo: Amy Reeve

      Amy Reeve answered on 22 Jun 2011:

      Hello 😀

      I once accidently ate sodium hydroxide when i was at school 🙁 it was awful! it was on my pen and i chewed the end of it! Blistered my lips!

      It was when i was doing my A-levels as well so you would have thought i would know better!! ha ha!

    • Photo: Ollie Russell

      Ollie Russell answered on 22 Jun 2011:

      At school i was doing the experiment in chem where you heat up potassium nitrate to make it degrade. I heated it up for so long that when I accidently dropeed it on the bench it ate through the top and burnt all the way through.

      I also once heated up a test tube and to cool it down i let water go in it…. it exploded! Probably dangerous when you think about it but at the time I thought it was awesome!

    • Photo: Andy MacLeod

      Andy MacLeod answered on 23 Jun 2011:

      I don’t work in a lab now. Which is probably for the best for all concerned. 😀
      But like the other guys, there was always interesting stuff happening at school. I remember one day we had to evacuate the chemistry lab. Someone dropped something into a Bunsen flame by “accident”. Can’t remember exactly what it was. I recall a purple gas, which might have been Iodine. But the teacher told us to get out pretty sharp-ish.